Sunday, July 20, 2014

Gelati is Roman for "Awesome"

Like most 2.5 year olds, I just love ice cream. I ask for it as soon as I wake up every morning, though I do get shot down every morning as well.

Fortunately, I don't have any dietary allergies or intolerances that would encumber my ability to eat as much ice cream as I can get my tiny little hands on.

So when my father told me about special Italian ice cream called gelato, I was naturally very curious and now very excited to explore Rome. However, I was warned that the names of the flavors will be Italian words that even my parents wouldn't know. Hmph.

I told my father that I generally select the ice cream flavors by the color. But given he's an Asian Tiger dad, he strongly encouraged me to do some internet research beforehand so that I come prepared.

Here's what I've found on a website called PocketCultures.com:

1. Panna (cream): also known as Fior di Latte, this is just plain ice-cream. Boring!

2. Cioccolato: chocolate

3. Limone: lemon

4. Pistacchio: another obvious one

Zuppa Inglese Gelato
5. Zuppa Inglese: the title translates literally as ‘English soup’ but it's more like custard.

6. Bacio: the name means kiss, and bacio is a mixture of hazelnut and chocolate…yum!

7. Frutti di bosco: translated it means "fruits of the forest" which is a mixture of strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, blackcurrants, raspberries

8. Caffè: coffee

9. Pesca: peach

10. Crema: Italian crema is a pale yellow colour and more like custard than cream. This is the frozen version

Fragola Gelato
11. Fragola: strawberry, but more fruity flavor than ice cream. Think deep dark pink.

12. Cocco: coconut

13. Stracciatella: chocolate chip in vanilla

14. Banana: take a wild guess

15. Amarena: plain ice cream with swirls of cherry sauce

16. Menta: mint

17. Melone: cantaloupe (melon)

18. Ricotta stregata: literally ‘bewitched ricotta’ (a type of cheese). Ricotta stregata is softer than normal gelato, because it actually contains ricotta. Definitely one to try if you fancy something different

19. Liquirizia: liquorice. Sounds gross to me

20. Nocciola: Hazlenut

Of course, when we got to Rome this weekend, not only does everyone speak English in these gelati shops, but they also have pictures and English translations under the flavors.

But nevertheless, I'm averaging about 2x a day for gelati and even found my new favorite place - Gelateria Valentino - click here for a map.

They have a lot of great TripAdvisor and Yelp reviews, employees who speak perfect English and a big group of really happy customers enjoying their desserts outside. That goes a long way, because there's a gelateria on every corner in Rome and they all look the same to me from the outside.

But when you go inside, Gelateria Valentino has some awesome flavors that you just don't find in a lot of places such as watermelon and super dark chocolate.


Now to be fair, I have to mention that gelati in Rome isn't as cheap as frozen yogurt in New York City. But for €3 for a cup with two amazing flavors, you just got yourself a piece of ice cream paradise.


Have I mentioned that I'm in heaven here?



No comments:

Post a Comment