Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Eating Like A German

Growing up in the Northeast, my father probably had his fair share of Dunkin Donuts. His favorite was called the Bavarian Cream. Fun fact: As a child, sometimes my father would take the doughnut and freeze it over night for a tasty frozen snack the next day.

But I digress. Over the past Memorial Day Weekend, we learned first hand that Bavarian food is so much more than cream doughnuts.

Despite having a very good Michelin Star restaurant inside our hotel, we opted to dine at more authentic local (albeit touristy) venues.

Here's a rundown of the delicious (but very heavy) Bavarian delicacies that we've enjoyed.

1. Bratwurst and Sauerkraut (hearty pork and beef sausages)


2. Schnitzel (thinly pounded and breaded meat)


3. Hirschgulasch (venison stew)


4. Leberwurst Soup (liverwurst meatball soup)


5. Schweinsteak (pork steak)


6. Apple Strudel (pastry filled with apples and surrounded by whipped cream)


In between meals, I got to play with some of the local kids in the village. I know that everyone says Asian kids are supposed to be super smart, but these kids were very impressive. I mean, they were barely bigger than I was and they were already speaking German!



No comments:

Post a Comment