Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Jip Shop

My mother and father really love seeing the local people when they travel abroad and prefer eating outside the hotel as much as they can. And no, it's not because it's cheaper, though that is a nice side benefit.

The tiny village in Buri Rasa is only 1 street long but has probably 10 shops/restaurants on each side alternating between a small store, a massage parlor and restaurants.

Since we were here for 6 days/5 nights, my parents took me to a new restaurant for each meal.  My father enjoyed the higher end Luna Bar at the far end of the road (it had a very polished European style dinner experience), but my personal favorite was Jip Shop shown above (you'll see why later).

Jip Shop was pretty well regarded by TripAdvisor Nation.  As we walked by the night before, it was packed with couples and families enjoying a very serene dinner with soft music playing in the background. Not the ideal place to bring a teething 15 month old baby, so my parents opted for another place instead, but promised to take me here the next day for lunch when it wasn't so busy.

So on Wednesday, around 2PM, we went to Jip Shop for a late lunch and met the infamous Jip, the charismatic woman who owned/ran the place. She welcomed us in and suggested the best seat in the house (since it was dead at 2PM). Jip brought over a fan to keep me cool and clapped her hands, a signal to her wait staff to bring out the menus.

We asked for some fresh coconuts as our beverage (did you know that babies love coconuts?) and took a look at the wide selection of Thai (and Western) offerings.

At Jip's recommendation, my father ordered the Fried Prawns in Tamarind Sauce (180 THB) and my mother ordered the Duck in Orange Sauce appetizer (140 THB) and the Hot/Sour Seafood Soup (140 THB). Total 460 THB (or ~$15 USD).

While we waited, I drank all my father's coconut water because I had missed breakfast on account of acting my age up. I don't know what it is about this magical fruit, but I can't get enough of it.

The appetizer came out and it looked like it was served in a fancy NYC restaurant (the kind that doesn't have high chairs). The presentation was beautiful and only matched by the unique citrus/spicy flavor of the crispy fried duck. We were told to put a little of the dried chili and some dried nori (seaweed) on each piece, and it was amazing.

The next course was the Fried Prawns and the Seafood Soup. They came out about the same time and they smelled/looked delicious. But these dishes were a bit spicy so my parents opted against feeding me any of their meals, instead choosing to give me a bland plate of steamed white rice. Phone number for Child Services, anyone?

The food was great (or so I've been told) and I'd highly recommend coming here if you're looking for a good meal. They also have a massage area in the back in case you wanted to get a quick 30 minute foot rub while you waited.

But the best part of Jip Shop is their little mascot, Koon (no judgement here), a tiny baby rabbit they keep in the restaurant for the guests to play with. As my long time readers know, I LOVE LOVE LOVE animals, especially baby ones.







My parents let me hold Koon for a little bit before I went all Lenny* on her.

*Reference to Steinbeck's Of Mice & Men.  Sign off the internet and go read a book once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment