Tuesday, April 22, 2014

New Orleans Delicacies - Part 1

Little known fact about me. Despite being only 2.5 years old, I'm quite a ferocious eater. That doesn't mean I like eating every weird thing my parents put on my plate, but I probably have a bit more adventurous palate than most American-Israel children, thanks to my parents.

So when we were down in New Orleans for the weekend, my mother and father definitely wanted to try out all the local cuisine they could get their grubby hands on.

Their checklist:
1. Beignet
2. BBQ'd Oysters
3. Oysters Rockefeller
4. Crawfish Po'Boy
5. Seafood Gumbo
6. Muffaletta

After having their first meal at Emeril Lagasse's NOLA on Friday, my anal Asian father plotted out our meals for the rest of the weekend to make sure his entire list was taken care of by the time we were flying back on Sunday afternoon.

Our first opportunity was Linner - a quick in between snack/meal between Lunch and Dinner. So around 4PM, we were heading back to the hotel to rest up a bit and my father's stomach started growling. He wasn't sure he'd made it to dinnertime, so we were given a recommendation by a tipsy Tourism office guide who said we should skip the touristy Cafe DuMonde and go to Cafe Beignet on Royal Street instead. Given the long lines at Cafe DuMonde, we were happy to get seated and eating right away.



If you've never heard of a beignet, it's kind of like fried dough but in a nicer shape. It's quite tasty and goes well with coffee, but given it's fried and covered with powdered sugar, it can be tough to eat more than one. My father didn't have that much trouble though.


Later on that evening, we had scheduled to go on a "Ghost Tour" with a local shop (super touristy, I know, I know!) at 7PM, so we wanted to get an actual meal around 5:30. Based on some TripAdvisor recommendations, we found Napoleon House just down the street from our 7PM meeting point. What Napoleon House lacked in polish, it made up for in authentic "charm" as my real estate agent grandmother would say. As you can see, the venue was "classic" on both the exterior and interior.



My father had a Muffaletta sandwich (an Italian sub sandwich with olive tapanade) with a small side of red beans and rice. My mother had a seafood gumbo. Both were decent, but nothing really to blog about.


The next day, we returned to the French Quarter to do more sight seeing.


No comments:

Post a Comment